Uganda Statistical Society (USS) is the National Statistical Society of Uganda, a professional body that brings together statisticians, statistics users and those engaged in professions that engage statistics. Disciplines such as Mathematics, Demography, Epidemiology, Actuarial Science, Quantitative Economics, are examples of disciplines that engage a lot of statistics and hence graduates of such disciplines are eligible for membership in the USS.
The USS was established in 1976 and is to celebrate 40 years of its existence at the end of this year 2016. USS is governed by a constitution that was last amended in 2015. Copies of the constitution can be accessed on our website.
A leading professional body that brings together statisticians, statistics users and those engaged in related professions in Africa.
To stimulate and promote research in Statistics, its teaching and applications in different sectors including planning and decision making in public and private sector.
The main objective of USS is to promote and safeguard statistics as a profession and improve statistical service delivery.
Specific objectives of USS are:
1. To promote and safeguard the statistical professionalism in both public and private sector.
2. To promote the collection, compilation, tabulation, analysis and publication of Statistics in public and private agencies in Uganda.
3. To stimulate and promote research in Statistics, its teaching and applications in planning and decision making in public and private agencies in Uganda.
4. To sensitize decision makers and the public in general on the vital role of Statistics in Planning and decision-making.
5. To communicate and make partnerships with other institutions and international organizations engaged in research, teaching and application of statistics outside Uganda.
USS MandateIn working towards the realization of the objectives mentioned above, the Society fosters a lively interest in Statistics by:
i. Disseminating publications to University Associations, organizing seminars, workshops and conferences.
ii. Contributing to the formulation of procedures of National Council of Higher Education (NCHE) for accrediting statistics courses offered by Universities and tertiary institutions in the country.
iii. Organizing public discussions, addresses and other general communications on statistical matters, for example, through the newspapers, radio, television, and other forms of media.
iv. Organizing and running statistical contests and carrying out any other suitable activities in promotion of statistics use and understanding within the confines of the Laws of Uganda and as approved by the Executive Committee.
v. To publish quarterly magazines and journals and to promote the writing, editing and reviewing of Statistical papers and books.